Q: CAN I RUN A BLOCK PRODUCER AND SNARK WORK ON THE SAME MACHINE?
A: Yes, but the processes will be competing for resources. It may be practical to run the processes on separate machines, though a community member has created a clever workaround for this by pausing the snark worker when it's time to produce a block: https://github.com/c29r3/coda-snark-stopper.
Q: DO I NEED ANY SPECIFIC HARDWARE?
A: Currently, a 4-core processor and 8 GB of RAM are the minimum requirements. In the near future though, GPUs may be required.
Q: WHAT ABOUT SOFTWARE?
A: You can download all the software required to run a Coda node here: https://codaprotocol.com/docs/getting-started#installation . Right now, we have builds that work on MacOS, as well as Debian and Ubuntu. You can also build from source https://github.com/codaprotocol/coda .
Q: WHAT CAN I DO ON THE CODA NETWORK?
A: Any node can send and receive transactions on the Coda network. Additionally, any node can choose to be a "Node operator". Node operators play two specific roles:
1) Block Producer - this is analogous to being a Bitcoin "miner" or a "validator" in other proof-of-stake networks. By staking coda, you can be selected to produce a block and win the block reward
2) Snark Worker - this job is what helps compress data in Coda's network. The snark worker nodes generate proofs of transactions, and the block producer buys these proofs on the network (we call it a "snarketplace" :)) - thus, the snark worker gets rewarded a bit of the block reward for their efforts.
Q: WHAT IS THE POINT OF A TESTNET?
A: The Coda testnet's goal is to improve Coda's stability, improve the software through bug fixes and addressing user experience, and to test the economic incentive design in Coda. By participating in the testnet, you get to be the first participants in the Coda protocol, and help develop it from ground zero.
Q: WHERE CAN I TRY OUT THE TESTNET?
A: Head over to the testnet landing page https://codaprotocol.com/testnet.html to learn more and get started.
Q: MY DAEMON CRASHED -- WHERE SHOULD I SHARE THE ERROR LOG?
A: First, check out Github issues https://github.com/codaprotocol/coda/issues to see if this is a known issue. If the error you experienced is a new issue, file a Github issue with the appropriate tags (daemon, bug). Coda developers will triage the issue and fix it in a future sprint -- thanks for your help!
Q: HOW CAN I REPORT OTHER ISSUES / GET IN TOUCH WITH THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM?
- The Coda community's live discussion channel is the Discord server: https://discord.gg/ShKhA7J
- You can also create Github issues: https://github.com/codaprotocol/coda/issues
- If you need to get in touch privately, you can email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: IS THERE A BLOCK EXPLORER?
A: Yes, check out the block explorer here: https://codaexplorer.garethtdavies.com/ .